Post Patterns – The Draft

Post Patterns > First and Ten > HoustonProFootball.com Updates and Feedback > Site Feedback > The Draft

PDA

View Full Version : The Draft

OldTexan03-25-2007, 02:04 PMI was pondering my plans for the draft earlier and got to wondering whether or not an idea I had possesses any merit. I normally spend both draft days in front of my television with the chronicle spreadsheet of players in front of me as well as a couple of articles I keep for references and watch the entire draft from the beginning until the Texans final draft pick. Usually both days, drinking a beer and munching on whatever. My wife knows to leave me alone and I appreciate her consideration – 37 years of marriage will sometimes allow for these things.

I had a friend who is a season ticket holder invite me to the Texans draft party but I don’t think I want to go there because I saw so many assholes in news clips last year that I didn’t think I could keep my mouth shut around most of them and could get myself in trouble.

But I got to thinking that most of the guys on this forum are fairly well versed in NFL matters, personnel and such and although all of us frequently disagree with each other we probably would not come to blows if a bunch of us met at some mutually agreeable watering hole and watched the draft together. Discussion between picks might add to the enjoyment of the spectacle as the time between picks is 15 minutes in the first round and five each round after.

I might be totally wrong and am not volunteering for any sort of duty to set anything like this up but it might be something you guys can throw out there for discussion anyway. Of course somebody might try and kill yomaine or NBT or pk or me or whoever. I don’t know. Maybe this has even been proposed before but it is just an idea. Kick it around and see if you think it has merit.

painekiller03-25-2007, 04:09 PMMaybe at someones house, a BYOB type thing. Could be fun. And I know I go crazy between the picks. I need to get the NFL network soon. Just don’t want to go with a dish and cable.

I may consider that at my house. But right now I am limited to Kipers on the TV. Could move an extra sofa into the living room and would have room for around 15 people, maybe 20 with other chairs moved into the room.

Just another thought, the A-holes at the bars would drive me nuts as bad as the a-hole at the draft party.

OldTexan03-25-2007, 05:17 PMOriginally posted by painekiller
Maybe at someones house, a BYOB type thing. Could be fun. And I know I go crazy between the picks. I need to get the NFL network soon. Just don’t want to go with a dish and cable.

I may consider that at my house. But right now I am limited to Kipers on the TV. Could move an extra sofa into the living room and would have room for around 15 people, maybe 20 with other chairs moved into the room.

Just another thought, the A-holes at the bars would drive me nuts as bad as the a-hole at the draft party.

You have more guts than I do, hosting an unknown group at your house and being stuck with them there for 6-7 hours. I like the bar scenario better. People can come and go as they please, buy their drinks and food without worrying a host (or his wife). I also think that there will not be too many folks filling up some spot just for the draft. Only nuts like us really go for the show.

Also, if you get 5-10 folks you can almost lock up a spot early and keep the amateurs away from where you are sitting. Just my two cents.

OldTexan03-26-2007, 06:22 PMThe post hasn’t seemed to generate a lot of interest. Perhaps staying at home and making a few posts to the forum as the draft progresses is more the desire of the majority.

papabear03-26-2007, 06:48 PMI might be up for it, but it’s hard for me to say right now.

vBulletin® v3.0.17, Copyright ©2000-2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.